There are many events and occasions in life that can bring up emotions. If you are single or in a failing relationship, these events may allow your mind to wonder about the one who got away. With the popularity of social media, rekindled romances have become popular and much more common. A simple search or social media allows you to reunite with a long-lost love who has remained in your mind even after years have been spent apart. You may wonder if you should try to rekindle things or try for a do-over with the one that got away. If you have left your former flame on a pedestal, your heart remembering only the good times, perhaps it is time to give it a try. Still, what comes next can be tricky. Consider the following tips if you decide to reunite with someone from the past and it may just become the happiest relationship you have ever had.
- Learn about their life while you were apart – When you reconnect with your lost love, spend lots of time catching up on your life from the time you were apart. Ask questions and then listen closely to the answers. You may find you have had similar experiences over time.
- Show empathy – There is a reason you have both become single again and share the desire to reconnect. Maybe the timing before was wrong and things are better now. Chances ar at least one of you has had a relationship or marriage go wrong. Show concern for the related pain, but do not dwell on the negative history that belongs to each of you.
- Spend time together – You are not just reuniting with one another, but friends and family as well. Many will remember you and be totally accepting, others may not be so kind. Whatever your long-lost love is into present day, spend time doing that so you can get to know each other all over again.
- Remember you are different people now – Rekindled romance can work, but you cannot pick up exactly where you left off years before. Do not rush into bed or go changing your relationship status too soon. Take time to get to know one another now and acknowledge the differences that took place while you were apart. Everything from sleep habits to political views may have changed. Make sure you know the person well before committing once again.
- Forgive and forget – As both individuals and as a couple, remember the good things from the past. When you reconnect, you will have memories of younger versions of yourselves, but in time these memories will fade as new versions of you as a couple will replace them. After catching up about the past, stick to living in the future. Accept one another as you are now, not what you were. Together, you can create new adventures.
- Keep romance alive – If you were once the type to send long, handwritten love letters, keep it up, but add a digital element in text to add to the romance. Make sure to do random acts of kindness for one another because this renewed relationship should not be taken for granted.
- Take it slow – While running into a former flame can produce wonderful feelings, don’t rush through the beginning of things. Enjoy the honeymoon stage because you are courting once again. This time, you happen to have lots of memories as the glue for the foundation of the relationship.
Resuming a relationship after pushing pause in the past can be exhilarating. While there are no guarantees that your second chance will work out well, most do. If yourself the chance to reach out and reconnect if you are single. You will know in time whether its working or not.